Monday, October 10, 2011

With a Recipe In One Hand and a Stack of Photos In the Other

Wow.  It's been almost two months since my last post.  Shame on me.  I'm not going to dwell on it.  Life has been busy.


In the last two months I may not have blogged about what I have done in the kitchen but I have certainly been busy in the kitchen. 


Some of the things that involved the kitchen:
  • My daughter's first birthday
  • My husband's birthday
  • I've taken three cake classes and I just started on my fourth today!
and...
  • A menu based on the season premiere of ABC's Castle :-)

The Bug turns one!


My wonderful daughter A.K.A. Bug (short for Ladybug) turned one in August.  We planned a small birthday party for her; with the theme being ladybugs.  I had so much fun with this.  I had received a Cricut machine for my birthday in July and was just itching to use it.  I made EVERYTHING for the party that was paper based.  I started with the invitations



and then I kept right on going.  I made a birthday banner (but I didn't get a picture of it) and the cupcake wrappers and the ladybugs on the dessert table and I was even able to cut out a matching ladybug to put on a onesie that went with the tutu that I made for her. 






 Bug had a great day and I had so much fun planning everything for her!




Hubby turns...well we won't say how old ;-)

My wonderful husband had a birthday in September and since I was taking cake decorating classes at the time I thought I would make his cake.  Yeah well...I ran out of time so I cheated a bit.  I called up our local grocery store bakery and asked them if I could just get a frosted cake with no decorations on it.  Their answer, "Really? You don't want it decorated?"  I then had to explain to them that I had spent most of the morning making the decorations for his cake but never got around to baking it.  And I never took credit for their cake.  When people asked, I totally gave credit where credit was due. So, the cake was made by Publix and the decorations were made by me using candy molds and melted chocolate/candy






Cake Classes...

Sorry, no pictures for this one (you don't want to see pictures anyway.  I need LOTS more practice).  I'm taking cake decorating classes at my local craft store and there are three classes in the set.  It turns out that the one that I'm the most decent at is the one that I'm not all that interested in.  I'm not fond of gum paste and fondant and it turns out that that's the one I'm having the most success in.  I really just need to practice working with butter cream and Royal icing more and that's not always possible when you have kids that give you a hard time when it comes to going to bed and you're the only parent home because Hubby works 24 hour shifts.  But, I'm determined to make it work and be successful at it.  It's just going to take a little more time then I thought.
I have also taken a class on tired cakes.  I was so unprepared for that class and everything went wrong that morning that when I got home I burst into tears and wanted to throw my cake out the back door.  Hubby said I could but I thought that might be just a tad childish (but I bet it would have felt really REALLY good).  Again, more practice is needed.
Tomorrow is a class on cake pops.  I've made cake pops before but I'm hoping to get a few tips on dipping my pops.


Season premiere of Castle!

My husband and I love that show and I wanted to do something fun for the season premiere.  I had a recipe for Crock Pot Balsamic chicken (and I'm so sorry but I can't remember which website I found the recipe on) that I couldn't wait to try so I turned it into Beckett's "I love you" Balsamic Chicken.  We had that with, Ryan and Espisito's Roasted potatoes and ended the meal with  "Big Apple" Apple Toffee Blondies.  I found the recipe for these delicious Apple Toffee Blondies over at Cookies and Cups you can find the recipe here.  We also had Rick "This is to DIE for" Castle  Butter Rum After Dinner Coffee.  I had fun with this menu and it was a big success and surprise for my husband who didn't realize that the new season was starting.  Sorry no pictures.  When the chicken came out of the crock pot it was so tender that it just fell apart.  It did not make a nice picture :-)  Yummy just not pretty.


We've been busy busy here.  Button (my son) turns three next week. More pictures and more posts to follow (and I won't let so much time go between posts).





No comments:

Post a Comment